Friday, November 28, 2008

Week 13: Drupal Class

The Beginning Drupal class on November 20 went well. We had about 25 attendees, and aside from the fact that the Internet connection was a little problematic in our classroom, there were no major snafus. I'm now moving on to the second class, which is officially on the calender for Dec. 4th. There are a number of people from the first class who have already signed on for the second one. With the first class under my belt, planning the next one should be less work. I'm actually rather enjoying the process, especially the feeling that I'm helping facilitate a community around campus. The interest is out there; all that's needed is a little organization to get things off the ground, and people seem genuinely grateful for the opportunity to get training.

Last week I also made progress on the Portal Community Interface template. After messing around with Drupal all semester, I realized I'd finally gotten to the point that I feel like I know what I'm doing when I use it. I'm hardly an expert, but I don't have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to do basic things anymore, which is satisfying. I still have more work to do on the CPI template, but I think I should have a good working draft by the end of next week.